knock

« Older   Newer »

Niubbo

Group

Status
    Ciao a tutti,

Questo riguarda la mia motocicletta.
    Monocilindrico Rotax a 4 tempi per motore 176cc. La bici ha 83.000 km che è considerata molto per una moto.
    C'è un suono che batte (non sbatte, per lo più come il suono da legno a metallo) che ha alcune peculiarità:
    1. Bussa se la temperatura è superiore a 40-50 gradi C. A temperature inferiori, il motore sembra sano.
    2. Al minimo (e caldo come detto sopra), bussa davvero male, ma il rallentamento del suono abbassa il suono e alla fine ho capito che va via. Guida ad esempio a 70 Kmh e il motore sembra più sano che mai.
    Strana combinazione di sintomi
    Ho controllato la pressione dell'olio ed è come dovrebbe.
    Ho spinto il pistone con un cacciavite attorno al PMS e non ho perso del tutto.

Dato che ciò avviene a temperature superiori a 50-60 gradi, comincio a sospettare la formazione di detriti che portano a bussare.
    Questo motore dovrebbe avere una compressione di circa 14 bar e recentemente è aumentato da 15 a 15,5 bar.
    Cosa pensi?
    A proposito, il risveglio abbassa sostanzialmente il suono del battito.

Un sacco di residui di carbonio.

L'immagine più scura è il pistone "bagnato" dopo averlo avviato per misurare la compressione.

Devo pulire e vedere se qualcosa migliora.

Se non lo aggiusta, devo aprire e controllare il pistone e la canna.

----

Hi to all,

This is about my motorcycle.
    Rotax engine 4-stroke single cylinder 176cc. The bike has 83.000 km's which is considered a lot for a motorcycle.
    There is a knocking sound (not rattling - mostly like wood to metal sound) that has some peculiarities:
    1. It knocks if temperature is higher than 40-50 degrees C. At lower temp, the engine sounds healthy.
    2. At idle (and warm as stated above) it knocks really bad but revving up lowers the sound and eventually as I understand goes away. Driving eg @ 70 Kmh and the engine sounds healthier than ever.
    Weird combination of symptoms.
    I checked oil pressure and is as it should.
    I pushed the piston with a screwdriver around TDC and no slack at all.

Given the fact that this takes places @ temperatures higher than 50-60 degrees, I start suspecting debris formation leading to knocking.
    This engine should have compression of around 14 bar and recently has risen from 15 to 15.5 bars.
    What do you think?
    By the way revving up lowers substantially the knocking sound.

Lots of carbon residues.

Darkest picture is "wet" piston after cranking it to measure compression.

I need to clean and see if anything improves.

If it doesn't fix it then I need to open and check piston and barrel.

1,2....6 ... 9 !!!!

Group

Status
    hi
    first of all, what model is your bike?
    1766cc ... scarabeo?
    talking about the leonardo/scarabeo rotax engine, what happen in oil pressure? the lamp works properly ?
    happens to me in the past that pressure was not ok and when temperature rise noise grow up, and was the chain wit not enough oil pressure in the tensioner (early type, hydraulic)
    where are you from?

did you check in these 83K km the gap between tensioner and chain, according the original instruction?

Darkest picture is "wet" piston after cranking it to measure compression.
    .... you measure pressure using spark thread ? if yes it can be normal, starting rotation you have fuel suction, without spark.
    however i'm on the other side of the keyboard and is difficult to give suggestion, and you have -for sure- your good experience.

Niubbo

Group

Status
    La pressione dell'olio si comporta come previsto. L'ho confrontato con la stessa seconda bici. La mia bici è BMW C1 176cc. Io vengo dalla Grecia. Tutto il suono del battito inizia dopo 40-50 gradi C (molto strano) e se mi alzo diminuisci (anche molto alto). Se guido a 70 km / h la moto sembra più sana di sempre.
    Il gap di catena è molto basso (la catena è cambiata con il tensionatore 5000 km fa)

----
    Oil pressure is behaving as expected. I compared it with same second bike. My bike is BMW C1 176cc. I am from Greece. All knocking sound starts after 40-50 degrees C (very strange) and if I rev up it diminishes (very stange too). If I drive @ 70 kmh the bike sounds like healthier ever.
    The chain gap is very low (chain was changes with tensioner 5000 kms ago)

Niubbo

Group

Status
    Aha momento:
    Un dente spento per entrambe le ruote dentate.
    Spazi di scarico molto stretti (0,11 vs minimo 0,20)
    Tempi sbagliati hanno probabilmente portato una rapida usura delle sedi delle valvole.

--
    Aha moment:
    One tooth off for both cam sprockets.
    Exhaust clearances very tight (0,11 vs minimum 0,20)
    Wrong timing probably brought quick wear of the valve seats.

1,2....6 ... 9 !!!!

Group

Status
    chain is longer (you have a nice double camshaft over head ...) and the gap regulation is completely different from leonardo-rotax engine.
    a wrong timing can affect valves in terms of dirt in valve seat and ducts.
    i don't have a direct experience in your double camsharft head ...
    also in my engine register-to-valve clearance is tight
    cold side (suction ) 0,05 - 0,09 mm
    hot side (waste) 0,10 - 0,14 mm

if i well remember, bmw modify the design of the bolt that fix the chain tensioner.
    the tensioner is the hydraulic type (a miniature piston that increase lenght according chain use, one-way stetching, with oil inside)
    the new design is longer and push a little bit more the piston and the two parts remain compressed one inside the other.
    for the same reason in my leo i use 2-3 coins 1 euro-cent in between tensioner and bolt.
    just thinking about the strange noise of your engine, one of reason can be the chin.
    on transmission every runs ok?
    also the belt can turn to noisy, but you can feel a lack of power.

Niubbo

Group

Status
    Un altro mistero è che il pignone destro se la catena ha saltato un dente, allora il segno dovrebbe essere inferiore di uno. Il mio è più alto .....

---
    Another mystery is that the right sprocket if the chain jumped one tooth then the mark should be lower by one. Mine is higher.....

Niubbo

Group

Status
    Oggi ho cronometrato correttamente i pignoni e nessun miglioramento, forse anche peggio.
    ----
    Today I timed correctly the sprockets and no improvement, maybe even worse.

1,2....6 ... 9 !!!!

Group

Status
    chain that jump a tooth in normal engine running is an extraordinary event.
    in the leo of a friend appears this, chain jums BUT the guy falls on the street , pump don't ... pump ( :D ) and oil pressure falls, the tensioner (latest type -only spring) without proper pressure don' push and release the chain.

can you check your bike with another exhaust ?
    now i have temporary dismount my Leovince 4Road for welding problems and i'm using the original, vibration increase a lot !

some year ago the C1 club was strongly working .... now also them are few guys that deeply love their motorbikes ....
    www.bmwc1club.com/forum/default.asp
    check if there are description or pictures ...

Niubbo

Group

Status
    Grazie per le risposte penetranti, oggi ho scoperto alcune cose brutte e orribili:
    1) Staples sono stati collegati al volano e sensore TDC. Come mai sono entrati nel sistema questo è molto misterioso (lo stesso con quelli che ho in garage, il mio bambino li ha gettati nel contenitore dell'olio?)
    2) Il filtro dell'olio è pieno di pasta di alluminio. Non ho idea di cosa sia. Guarda la foto con il filtro sui miei guanti, la pasta è sulle mie dita
    3) La vite magnetica aveva un sacco di particelle nere (molto sottili come la sporcizia) che è peculiare dato che l'ho lavato circa 100 km fa.
    4) La sincronizzazione è corretta con la vite TDC in posizione.
    5) Salto il volano e mi rendo conto che asta e manovella si muovono insieme e non presentano alcun gioco (questa è l'unica notizia forse positiva)

Sembra una strada a senso unico che devo almeno rimuovere la pompa dell'olio per controllare.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Z1SzTNGG...ew?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-xHxjWiSj...ew?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dcWxL9rWH...ew?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iEo4wEi3H...ew?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FZhNnnP7d...ew?usp=drivesdk

Niubbo

Group

Status

Niubbo

Group

Status
    Il prossimo passo è quello di rimuovere la pompa dell'olio e la pompa dell'acqua (l'ultima cosa è cambiata e si avvicina al momento in cui tutto ha iniziato a funzionare con il minimo).
    Sembra che al momento in cui ho cambiato l'olio durante il cambio della pompa dell'acqua, i punti metallici sono entrati nell'olio e questo può essere correlato al comportamento anomalo della pressione dell'olio (luce dell'olio lampeggiante al minimo) e al cattivo funzionamento (sensore della manovella eventualmente influenzato da quelli fili di base attratti dal volano).
    Anche tutta questa pasta di alluminio può essere il risultato di quei punti metallici che macinano nella pompa dell'olio.
    Mi chiedo se la catena abbia fatto un salto anche a causa di questo.

----
    The next step is to remove oil pump and water pump (last thing changed and close to the time the whole thing started messing with idle).
    Seems that at the time I changed oil during water pump change, the wire staples entered the oil and this may be related to the abnormal oil pressure behaviour (oil light flashing at idle) as well as the bad idle (crank sensor possibly affected by those staple wires attracted by the flywheel).
    Even all this alu paste can be a result of those wire staples grinding into the oil pump.
    I wonder if the chain jumped a tooth too because of this.

Niubbo

Group

Status
    Oggi ho aperto la pompa dell'olio e l'ho trovata in ottime condizioni.
    Tuttavia, questi punti metallici graffiati male il volano e leggermente il sensore di manovella.
    Anche la pompa dell'acqua è in ottime condizioni.
    Ciò significa che tutti i segni portano a qualcosa di sbagliato con la canna e si aprirà a poco a poco per controllare.
    Vi terrò aggiornati.
    A proposito mio figlio non aveva idea di questi punti metallici, quindi molto probabilmente sono stato un vandalo. Questa dannata asta di livello non può bloccarsi e questo può causare molti problemi.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ad9pLqoZb...gQMeReC4g1/view
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FUS1rx2PT...ImApnuuGiz/view
    ----
    Today I opened oil pump and found it in very good condition.
    However, these wire staples scratched badly the flywheel and slightly the crank sensor.
    Water pump in mint condition too.
    This means that all signs lead to something wrong with the rod and will open little by little to check.
    Will keep you posted.
    BTW my son had no idea about these wire staples, so most probably I have been a vandalised. This damn dipstick can't lock and this can bring lots of troubles.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ad9pLqoZb...gQMeReC4g1/view
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FUS1rx2PT...ImApnuuGiz/view

1,2....6 ... 9 !!!!

Group

Status
    why you remove the bolt from the flywheel group?
    in the video, engine shaft was locked or free, and you remove the electric starter motor?
    in the leo rotax there is no gap.
    staples ..... really strange.

Niubbo

Group

Status
    Ho aperto la testa oggi. Le mezze valvole sono marroni! Qualche liquido marrone?
    Ho controllato anche il gioco del pistone. Slittamento marginale (controlla il video qui sotto).
    Guarnizione della testa soffiata?
    Il pistone è normale o no?
    Grazie

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Vv85010q...ew?usp=drivesdk
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-W7m5rJHw...ew?usp=drivesdk

----
    I opened head today. Half valves are brown! Some brown liquid too?
    I checked piston slack too. Marginal slack (check video below).
    Head gasket blown?
    Piston slack normal or not?
    Thank you

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Vv85010q...ew?usp=drivesdk
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-W7m5rJHw...ew?usp=drivesdk

1,2....6 ... 9 !!!!

Group

Status
    you can do another check.
    remove the transmission belt, remove the electric starter motor and the spark plug.
    rotating by hand the shaft (use the pulley) you can check any gap when you invert the rotation.
    normally there are no gap
    gap can be
    between engine and shaft (bearings
    shaft itself (crankshaft) or piston key
    piston and gaskets.
    all of them produce noise, and noise depend on endine rmp.
    bearing has effect on oil pressure also, mainly at low - minimum rpm

17 replies since 11/10/2018, 14:57   593 views