Leonardo 150 Choke (Cold start)

« Older   Newer »

1. kalas1988

User deleted

Ragazzi, BuonGiorno

I have been watching this forum for long time , now I have registered :)

Iam writing in english, since google translate is preety shitty.

I had a problem with membrane and as written on this forum , I changed it and excellent performance as should.

Now I have other problem, automatic choke valve:

I tried to connect it on battery but nothing hapens only warms up. How can I close the choke? I do not need it, since I am driving only when +20 °C

If I close tiny hole In carbureator (Choke side) engine stalls. If I add throttle , engine works fine.

Please help.

Best regards, Jan Slovenia

Edited by kalas1988 - 1/3/2012, 18:47

1,2....6 ... 9 !!!!

Group

Status
    Hi, Jan
    The automatic starter ,"choke" , when warm increase the lenght, just to obtain the closing of the cold start circuit of carburettor.
    Have you wait for some minutes, 5/6?
    If the lenght doen't change you can only replace the item, for open the same there was some pictures, posted in the past, in the forum but i don't remember the discussion!
    Ciao!

Moreover, i am quite sure that a malfunction of this device is the "starting trouble" of the well- known problem of petrol-in-oil. Oil increase level and loose lubrication properties.....
    Due to that, is better to provide a solution!!!
    Stay tuned!

pippo pluto paperino

Group

Status
    hi
    if your choke is this:
    CITAZIONE
    I tried to connect it on battery but nothing hapens only warms up. How can I close the choke? I do not need it, since I am driving only when +20 °C

your choke is broken.
    no problem,you do nothing,if the choke not work,it isn't inserted.
    if the scooter start at +20 °C, it is ok...
    bye

pippo pluto paperino

Group

Status
    azzo se imparassi un po' l'inglese....

5. kalas1988

User deleted

Thank you, for fast reply

My choke valve is really strange, I have needle that retracts, not advances (moves forward).

If I close the whole marked, with my finger engine stalls, If I raise idle throttle (with nut), engine works really fine.

How I undersdand autochoke: When "coil" warms up, needle retracts, so therefore when engine warms up, choke closes. So since my choke isn't working (is extended) , choke is always ON?

Thank you, Ciao b'rgrds
    Attached Image
    untitled

1,2....6 ... 9 !!!!

Group

Status
    if i well understand your situation is uncorrect.
    when the coil is switched on, current warm up and the needle EXTEND !
    in cold situation the starter circuit is in function, some air suction is coming from the black rubber support (this is a filter) and some petrol is coming from the needle edge.
    in warm situation the choke should be extended and both air and petrol are (should be) closed.
    you have the manual at your end:
    check the electrical chapter 6.
    at 6.7 there is an explanation regarding the starter.
    if you dismount the item and switch on the power supply, you can easily check that after few minutes (3-5) the needle lenght increase more than 3mm.

7. kalas1988

User deleted

Thank you for reply,

I am on holidays this weekend, so I am not at home, I will paste picutre on monday when I am home.

Thank you, have a nice weekend, best regards

8. kalas1988

User deleted

Ok, I have some new info.

As I understand you, autochoke in your leonardo advances, extends on warming up. So I assume that my valve is completely messed up. I do have the same valve as on picture from manual, but my needle is always extracted, it has some spring attached, and I can only push the needle back, not forward. I really don't get it. Can I solder a wire to needle on choke and use it manually :) ? Is autochoke only closing the air, or does it also "pumping" more gasoline into engine?

Thank you for all the help, best regards

I forgot, to reply, I do not have any problems with petrol in oil. I really like rotax engine, I am servicing it every 6000km, oil, gioco valvole, and it is working excellent.
    If I blind hole that I marked in picture above (1st picture), do I deffinetely close the choke?

Thanks
    Attached Image
    Untitled

1,2....6 ... 9 !!!!

Group

Status
    ok, clear.
    but we cannot evaluate if your autochoke is "normal" or "fullforward".
    unfortunately i haven't a spare at home for measure its extension in cold and hot position, but you can check your equipment, both choke and carburettor interface.
    the closing of the black filter support i believe that is only air, fuel remain open .... but i have to check ..

10. kalas1988

User deleted

Hello,

I have found two topics:

-Mine choke is same as this one in topic

https://leonardo.forumcommunity.net/?t=21526904 -guida all'aria automatica

But in the picture I attached, (where I marked), is diffrent needle than mine. Mine has spring, I can move it up & down, for aprox. 7mm .....

Yesterday I closed (blind-ed) small pipe, marked with red spray in posts above, and engine couldnt run, it stalled on idle.... I really don't get all togeher.

I have found this post: https://leonardo.forumcommunity.net/?t=29902585 Eliminazione Aria Aut. .... I will try method in topic.

Thank you very much for all help, you really are the best!

Best regards
    Attached Image
    choke

11. kalas1988

User deleted

Ragazzi,

sorry for so much questions....reading two topics above, I have found that there is no final solution ? If we extend the needle like max_sr made, do we also close the gasoline?....

Cordiali saluti, Jan

12. kalas1988

User deleted

Ok, I opened my choke valve, and installed only spring like max_sr .. I think that choke is closed, since I can not drive when engine is cold. I start it with finger in intake hose, under the seat, otherwise no way starting it. Now when it is around 10 degrees in ljubljana.
    Thank you for solution guys , you really are the best.!!!

Now I have another question, and more :) I would still like to get little more from my rotax. Engine is production 98. I have 110 getto (main jet).
    I have malossi red filter, will 115 be too much, as reading other posts that is o.k. ?

If I buy polini or malossi belt, will it be any difference for original engine ? I have heard that this is best investment in transmission for 33 euros.

So far I have new polini rollers 10.4 gr and blue spring (torque, not clutch)? Is this actually O.K. ? Or would original yellow spring be better ?

What about clutch springs ? What about malossi , for low rpm (turistico), I would like to get running with less throttle

And final, those who had both 150 ccm rotax, and 250ccm yamaha- minarelli. I was really aming to buy 250 leonardo, at end of the year, but does 100 ccm makes a lot of diference. 150 rotax has- 14.3 hp, while 250 around -20.5 hp ?

Wish you nice weekend, happy driving on :wub: LEONARDO :smileo:

1,2....6 ... 9 !!!!

Group

Status
    Hi.
    Modification in the transmission elements allows you to change the bike response compared to rpm/torque and load.
    Obviously power doesn't increase.
    Some guys install a bigger carburettor, taken from different piaggio scooters.
    This increase both performance and fuel consumption.
    Is possible to install a camshaft (malossi or daytona, quite difficult to find) and is possible to modify the waste outlet ductof the motor head ( a dremel drill is ok) .
    All together these improvement permit to run faster.
    But you have to onsider that the maintenance schedule should be double compared to original aprilia prescriptions!!!
    Regards.

Moreover for your questions about transmission items and based on all fiend experience i forward you the followings
    - we consider the "bando" maker belt the better choice. Bando is also the originanl one.
    - the polini roller guide pulley is now the better. Dry rollers and greased guide.
    - rear spring selection should be from your side, depend on kind of travels, mountain vs flat land, your weight etc., both torque drive and clutch.

14. kalas1988

User deleted

hi, gian62 thankyou for reply,

I do not need so much power just a little more, that s why I asked for 115 getto aria. Malossi cam , is too much for me, plus it costs a lot. So it is better to buy 250cc for me than, invest for around 200 euros. Installing larger carb eg. keihin 28,... I don t need it really, since rotax is preety wild.

I have tried to “drag“ with runner vxr 200 cc, and actually my leo wasnt behind for more than 1 meter :) leo and rotax the BEST!

what did you mean with waste outlet. Do you mean excesive oil that goes thru this duct into intake hose again ? Hose comes from valve head like you have written. ?

B rgrds

1,2....6 ... 9 !!!!

Group

Status
    No, for waste outlet i mean the output duct of motor head.
    Is possible to increase the dimensions. Just a little bit.
    Using a dremel or similar drill, little instrument with high speed. I have some shots, but i need to found them...
    However in any case you can clean the internal surface, like a mirror.
    The surface inside the duct is the same that you can see outside on the head, "cast alloy" without finishing.

15 replies since 1/3/2012, 17:19   1555 views